Created by NAR
A National Association of REALTORS® product
2019 Profile of International Transactions in U.S. Residential Real Estate (Download)
Sold in packages of
This annual report focuses on two groups of international buyers and sellers of residential real estate:
- Non-resident foreigners: Non-U.S. citizens with permanent residences outside the United States. These clients typically purchase property for investment, vacation,or visits of less than six months to the United States on non-immigrant visas.
- Resident foreigners: Non-U.S. citizens who are recent immigrants (less than two years at the time of the transaction) or non-immigrant visa holders who reside for more than six months in the United States for professional,educational, or other reasons.
- $77.9 Bn – Dollar volume of foreign buyer residential purchases during April 2018–March 2019 (36% decrease from $121 billion during April 2017–March 2018)
- 183,100 – Number of foreign buyer existing-home purchases, which is 3% of existing-home sales (31% decrease from 266,800 during April 2017–March 2018)
- 60% – Foreign buyers who resided in the United States (U.S.) as recent immigrants or visa holders
- $280,600 – Foreign buyer median purchase price ($259,600 for all U.S. existing-homes sold)